Monday, July 23, 2012

Main Dish Monday

 I wanted to share a throw back recipe with you with a bit of a new twist you might say.  I was thinking about my cooking inspiration, my grandmother.  I actually thought about the first time I cooked for her, she came to our house after my parents came home for work, and I wanted to do something special for her.  I pulled out mom's Better Homes and Garden cookbook, you might know the one red and white checkered book.  There it was, this sweet and sour style chicken recipe. Whether she liked it or not she ate it all and went back for seconds, I remember it like it was yesterday.  In answer to some questions, no I did not smoke out the kitchen, nor did I require commander McGarrett and his fire extinguisher.  


These are the memories I enjoy and why I think I love sharing this all with you.  The recipe is not exactly the same as then, but just as flavorful, and use the sauce as a glaze if you choose to and grill your chicken, even make a kebab the possibilities are endless..


Sweet and Sour Chicken



1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 tsp cornstarch
1 cup lower sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 seeded and chopped bell pepper (red or green)
1 small onion sliced
2 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1- 8-ounce can pineapple chunks packed in juice
1- 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs



  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in the chicken broth, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, pineapple juice from the can, ginger and garlic till smooth. 
  2. In a casserole dish add chicken, bell pepper, onion,water chestnuts, and pineapple.   Pour sauce over chicken,  cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and continue cooking until chicken is done.  

~Serves over the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment