|Me sending my grandparents to Hawai|
I am not sure about you but after falling from a cliff I am in need of a hug to feel better. But there is always the that little bit of comfort food that just may do the same trick for you, just from the inside out.
When events interrupt our daily lives, it's nice to know that friends and family are around when we need them most. There is something special about sharing a comfort meal with friends. It can make you smile because that is what friends do, right? This is the kind of meal that warms you from the inside out, and ca give you the hugs you are looking for, in the culinary sense.
French Onion Salisbury Steak
1 1/4 lbs ground chuck
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 Tbsp scallions, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups onions, sliced
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Combine chuck, parsley, scallion, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape into 3/4 to 1-inch thick oval patties. Place 2 tablespoons of flour in a shallow dish; dredge each patty in flour. Reserve 1 teaspoon flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and sauté 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add onions and sugar to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste; sauté 1 minute, or until paste begins to brown. Sprinkle onions with reserved flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine, and then add the salt and thyme.
- Return meat to pan and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve steaks on Cheese Toasts with onion soup ladled over.
Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.
4 tsp minced fresh parsley shopping list
4 tsp shredded parmesan cheese
4 slices of French or bagette bread cut into 1/2" thick slices
2 tbsp soft butter
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup grated swiss cheese
1-2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine butter & garlic with paprika on one side of each piece of bread
- Combine the cheeses and sprinkle over bread
- Bake till crispy and cheese is bubbly (10-15 minutes)
If you make any of the recipes take a picture and share it with me either here or on Twitter @cherylhofmann or by email email@example.com. I will share them here with everyone.