3 oz vodka
2 oz passion-fruit juice
1/2 oz orange liqueur
- Fill a glass with Ice add the first 3 ingredients, top off with seltzer, then add an orange slice or twist for garnish.
5 lbs thin cut tender short rib of beef,
2 cups soy sauce
2 cups white sugar
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch ginger, grated
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
sliced green onions
sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
1 red chilies (optional)
- Place ribs in a glass dish, mix all ingredients except for the optional ones in a saucepan and heat until the sugar melts, then cool.
- Pour marinade over ribs, then add optional ingredients, and place in the refrigerator 4 hours or overnight, tossing occasionally to make sure all ribs are covered with sauce.
- Remove from marinade and grill short ribs until slightly charred and tender and cooked to desired degree of doneness. These ribs may also be placed under the broiler.
5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 cup mochiko sweet rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 Tbsp soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, in a medium bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, soy sauce, garlic, then whisk into dry ingredients and add chicken to mixture.
- Fold in green onions, and sesame seeds if desired. Let this marinate at least 4 hours or as long as overnight, which is best.
- To cook, just deep-fry until golden brown.
2 lbs fresh ahi tuna
1 small round onion, julienne cut
3 green onions, diced
1/2 tsp freshly grated fresh ginger
3 finely diced garlic cloves
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp chili sauce
1 tsp hawaiian sea salt or 1 tsp kosher salt
- Cut Ahi into at least 1/2" cubes, then set aside and refrigerate. Combine all other ingredients in a large glass bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve toss Ahi and other ingredients together, let sit for 5minutes. Then serve on chilled platter with chopsticks or toothpicks.
3 lemons, plus 1 lemon
10 ounces mild Gorgonzola cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons cream
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus 1 tablespoon
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Trim the artichokes by cutting off the top 1-inch or so. Cut the stem close to the base of the artichoke so it can sit up straight, and remove some of the bottom leaves. With kitchen shears, trim the sharp points off of any remaining outer leaves. Add the artichokes to the boiling water. Halve the lemons and squeeze the juice into the boiling water. Toss in the lemons. Cook the artichokes until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain the artichokes and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the Gorgonzola, cream, thyme, 2 teaspoons parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. In another small bowl stir together the bread crumbs and remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the center choke of the artichokes using a small spoon. Stuff the cheese mixture into the center of the artichokes. Place the artichokes into a baking dish. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the artichokes. Drizzle the tops of the artichokes with olive oil. Bake until the artichokes are heated through, the cheese is melted, and the bread crumbs are crisp and golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer the artichokes to a serving dish and serve.
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
4 globe artichokes
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1⁄2 cup plus 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced, plus 8 cloves
peeled and left whole
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 bouquet garni (3 sprigs each sage, thyme, and parsley, tied together with kitchen twine)
3⁄4 cup white wine
2 plum tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded, and roughly chopped
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 lb. fava beans in their pods, shelled and blanched, skins removed
20 asparagus tips, blanched
- Combine lemon juice and 6 cups water in a large bowl. One artichoke at a time, place artichoke on its side. Using a serrated knife, cut off leaves by making a crosswise cut about 1 1⁄2" from where the stem meets the base; discard leaves. Cut away tough outer leaves remaining on artichoke's base until you reach inner yellow leaves. Using a peeler, remove green outer layer from stem and base. Trim off bottom 1⁄2" of stem. Use a spoon to scoop out fuzzy choke from center of artichoke. Quarter trimmed artichoke; transfer to lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- To make the pesto, combine the basil, 1⁄2 cup olive oil, minced garlic, and salt and pepper in the bowl of a small food processor and process until smooth; set aside.
- Drain artichokes. Heat remaining oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat; add the garlic cloves, onions, bouquet garni, and salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the artichokes, wine, tomatoes, and 1⁄2 cup water; cook, covered, until artichokes are tender, about 25 minutes. Add the peas, fava beans, and asparagus and cook until tender, about 3 minutes; remove and discard the bouquet garni.
- To serve, divide mixture between four bowls, top each with a generous spoonful of pesto, and serve with crusty bread.
1 1/4 lbs ground chuck
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 Tbsp scallions, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups onions, sliced
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Combine chuck, parsley, scallion, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape into 3/4 to 1-inch thick oval patties. Place 2 tablespoons of flour in a shallow dish; dredge each patty in flour. Reserve 1 teaspoon flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and sauté 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add onions and sugar to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste; sauté 1 minute, or until paste begins to brown. Sprinkle onions with reserved flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine, and then add the salt and thyme.
- Return meat to pan and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve steaks on Cheese Toasts with onion soup ladled over.
Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.
4 tsp minced fresh parsley shopping list
4 tsp shredded parmesan cheese
4 slices of French or bagette bread cut into 1/2" thick slices
2 tbsp soft butter
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup grated swiss cheese
1-2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine butter & garlic with paprika on one side of each piece of bread
- Combine the cheeses and sprinkle over bread
- Bake till crispy and cheese is bubbly (10-15 minutes)
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1- 1/2 cups flour
1- 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp of reserved pineapple juice
4 tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup cream cheese, softened
grated rind of a lemon or lime
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tsp lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup toasted coconut (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare muffin tins.
- Combine butter and sugar with electric beater until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in eggs, flour and baking powder. Fold in pineapple and pineapple juice.
- Spoon into prepared pans and bake until golden brown (20 mins).
- Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the rind and the sifted confectioners sugar. Gradually beat in the lemon or lime juice until desired consistency.
- When cupcakes are cooled off, proceed to ice them, sprinkle with toasted coconut if using. Then keep them in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
1 cup vodka
1 cup Champagne
2 cups cranberry juice
8 strips orange zest, each about 1/4" wide and 2" long
- Combine the vodka, Champagne and juice in a large-stemmed red wine glasses.
- Add crushed ice and stir until the mixture is well chilled.
- Twist the orange strips over the glass, drop them in, and serve.
Lobster and Mango Cocktail
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsp Cognac
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, or to taste
4- 1 1/2-pound live lobsters
3 firm-ripe mangoes
1 cup finely diced celery
4 whole Belgian endives plus 12 leaves for garnish
3 Tbsp minced fresh chives
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, the yogurt, the Cognac, the ketchup, the lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste and chill sauce, covered.
- Place the lobsters into a large pot of boiling salted water and boil them, covered, for 10 minutes. Transfer the lobsters to a bowl and let them cool until they can be handled. Crack the shells, remove the meat, and cut it into 3/4-inch pieces. Transfer the lobster meat to a large bowl and chill it, covered. This can be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance.
- Halve the mangoes by cutting just to the sides of each pit and, using a 3/4-inch melon-ball cutter, scoop the flesh from the mango halves. To the lobster meat add the mango balls, the celery, the whole endives, trimmed and sliced thin crosswise, the minced chives, and the sauce and toss mixture until it is combined.
- Divide the lobster mixture among 12 chilled small glasses and garnish each serving with 1 of the endive leaves and chives.
Pitcher of Mai Tai
2 cups dark rum
1 cup light rum
1 cup triple sec
3 1/2 cups orange juice
3 1/2 cups pineapple juice
2 cups sweet n' sour mix
1/2 cup grenadine
- Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher. Stir to mix, serve over ice
Mini Fried Chicken and Waffle Appetizer
10 sprigs fresh thyme
3 chicken thighs, boneless with skin on, cut into small ½ inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 16oz bottle of peanut oil
Mini Toaster Waffles
2 cups flour
2 tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne
- Remove the leaves from 5-6 sprigs thyme and mince finely. Set aside. Cut the chicken thighs into ½-inch square pieces leaving some skin on each little piece. Toss with 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the minced thyme.
- In a medium bowl mix the buttermilk with 1 tablespoon of hot sauce and add the seasoned chicken pieces to the buttermilk mixture. Mix well and add any remaining thyme to the buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the chicken in buttermilk from the fridge and drain in a colander. Scoop 2 cups of flour in a pie plate or shallow bowl and season with 2 teaspoons salt, black pepper and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper. Add the chicken pieces to the flour mixture and toss well, thickly coating each piece.
- In a large saucepan heat 2-3 inches of peanut oil to approximately 350 degrees. Carefully add chicken in batches, do not over crowd the pan or the the oil will cool off. Turn occasionally until browned on all sides, then remove to a paper towel to drain. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- Toast the mini waffle rounds until golden brown and top each round with a piece of warm fried chicken. Drizzle with warm maple syrup before serving.
1 oz. Southern Comfort
1 oz. Crown Royal
1 oz. Amaretto
1 splash Grenadine
- Fill a highball glass with ice and pour in the liqueurs. Fill the rest of the glass with equal parts of the juices and top off with a splash of grenadine.
- Cover the glass with a shaker and shake well. Remove shaker from glass and serve.
Steak Bites with Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup vodka
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
1 rounded tablespoon prepared horseradish
Salt and pepper
1 1/3 pounds beef sirloin cut into large bite-sized pieces, 1 by 2 inches
Steak seasoning blend
6 to 8 inch bamboo skewers
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and onions and saute 5 minutes. Add vodka and reduce by 1/2. Add Worcestershire, hot sauce, tomato sauce and horseradish. Stir to combine the dipping sauce and return the sauce to a bubble. Add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings.
- Heat nonstick skillet over high heat, coat meat lightly in oil, season with steak seasoning blend. Cook the meat until caramelized all over, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer dipping sauce to a small dish and place at the center of a serving platter.
- Surround the dip with meat bites and set several bamboo skewers along side meat.
1/2 oz spiced rum
3/4 oz dark rum
3 oz passion fruit
3 oz mango juice
2 oz sweet and sour mix
1 wedge lime
- Add spiced rum, dark rum, passion fruit, mango juice, and sweet and sour mix.
- Shake and pour into hurricane glass or other specialty glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with lime wedge.
Mini Lasagna Bites
1 package of Wonton Wrappers
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground sausage
1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce or your own homemade sauce
15oz ricotta cheese
1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown beef and sausage in a large skillet on medium heat and then drain excess fat. Add 1/2 (+ more to taste) sauce and turn temperature to low.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat 2 – 12 cup muffin tins with cooking spray. Line each one with one wonton wrapper. Using a melon ball scoop, drop one scoop of the ricotta mixture on each wonton wrapper. Drop one scoop of the meat mixture on top of the ricotta. Layer another wonton wrapper, and repeat process.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the wontons are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the muffin tins for 5 minutes before removing to a serving plate.
1/2 oz chocolate vodka
1/2 oz vanilla vodka
1/2 oz raspberry liqueur
Splash of chocolate liqueur
- Pour all ingredients into a martini shaker, shake and strain into a chilled martini glass rimmed with sugar and drizzled with white chocolate and raspberry sauce.
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 lb ground lean beef
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 long red chilies, seeded, finely chopped
1-15 oz can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
1-15oz can crushed tomatoes
extra light sour cream, to serve
1 small red onion, chopped
1 large avocado, chopped
1/4 lb cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add ground beef, cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add cumin, coriander, chili and beans. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomato, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make guacamole, place ingredients in a bowl. Season with pepper, stir to combine.
- Place tortilla chips on a serving plate. Top with beef mixture and guacamole. Serve with sour cream.
If you make any of the recipes take a picture and share it with me either here or on Twitter @cherylhofmann or by email email@example.com. I will share them here with everyone.