Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Side Dish Tuesday

I find when I have been at my lowest of lows and desperately needed someone that understood how I felt.  I have found some of the most awesome people and have truly made some amazing friends that have helped me along the way. They have been nothing but supportive, they have given me encouragement and the the good old head slap when deserved.  The strangest thing about these people I have never met them face to face. I am continually amazed at the compassion and the love I receive from them on an ongoing basis, with all that is going on in my life. I can say with confidence that I have found angels here on earth.  This is when you realize how sometimes people like this become part of the fantastic journey you embark on, and their  presence in your life have made it richer and have touched not only your heart but your soul.  In these thoughts I had today I came across this side dish that not only looks fabulous and deals with friendship.  Enjoy!   





Oh the dilemma friends are here, there was this great meal planned yesterday, yet I left out the most important thing.  Yeah unfortunately it's McGarrett's loss since he is hunting down the Shelbourne clues.  But he is not really the missing that I had in mind (but Steve you are missed).




Back on track friends what I was missing besides McG was my side dish, not to worry that is what today is for.  Basically this is just a food that accompanies your entrée. But sometimes a side dish can be good enough to stand alone.  That said these look like they mean business and they are waiting for some more serious good eats.  Hey boys I do hope you enjoy!



CHICKEN LONG RICE

3 lbs chicken thighs 
3 cups water
3 cups chicken broth
1 can sliced mushrooms
1" piece of fresh ginger (crushed)
1 tsp Hawaiian salt, sea salt, or Kosher salt
1 clove crushed garlic 
1- 10oz cellophane noodles (soak in warm water till soft)
2 cubes chicken bouillon



  1. Place chicken thighs in a soup pot then cover with water and canned chicken broth. 
  2. Add crushed ginger, salt, crushed garlic, mushrooms and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil then simmer 45minutes or until tender. Allow to cool, then bone and shred chicken. Reserve broth. 
  3. Cut long rice in 4 inch lengths, add to broth then boil for 15 minutes. Add shredded chicken. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, or soy sauce. 




 POTATO-MAC SALAD

4 large red and/or yellow potatoes cut into cubes
1-1/2 cups elbow macaroni-dry
1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced and chopped
3 pickles chopped
3 green onion chopped
3 hard boiled eggs (whites chopped, set aside yolks)
Optional:
1 cup frozen peas 
2 celery stalks chopped 
1-2 carrots chopped 


Dressing:
1-1/4 to 2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup Zesty Italian dressing
1 Tbsp prepared mustard 
3 yolks from the boiled eggs
1 tsp garlic salt
Ground pepper to taste
2 Tbsp pickle juice (optional)
Optional:
Herbs to taste dill, parsley, curry powder



  1. Boil cubed potatoes until tender then drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside to allow to fully cool. Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the macaroni package. Then rinse with cold water and set aside to allow to fully cool. 
  2. While the macaroni is cooking mix the dressing in a small bowl and set aside. 
  3. Once the cooked macaroni and potatoes are cool lightly toss with the remaining ingredients. Once tossed mix in dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment