Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Miscellaneous Wednesday

Yes it is hump day and I woke up with a headache, not necessarily what everyone needed to know. Though it did leave me wanting my September trip to Hawaii even more. That said I know one thing I look forward to is trying the food that is local to the area. I bought a journal to help me follow my thoughts, the cuisine, and keep track of what food I want recipes for. Today's treat is one thing my mouth is watering for, Moco Loco, in fact when I posted this I posted it in the traditional way as well a lighter version. I do hope you enjoy.

This post was originally on May 2, 2012.



You do know it is always great when you have friends over from out of town and they get to hang with you.  Of the place usually winds up being a wreck for a while, but for friends why not.  





You can always be a gracious host kind, considerate, seeing to their every need.  Though the thing about house guests are you do have to feed them come the morning.  We do have to stick with our island Hawaiian theme, guess you may have to get that butt of yours out of bed and make  something that screams Hawaiian tradition.




So what screams traditional Hawaiian breakfast fare better than Loco Moco, oh but before you roll your calorie conscious eyes at me, I bare gifts.    Don't turn your head either, I have two recipes here for you one that gives you the comfort of the original.  The second I think packs the elements of the dish, yet lightens it for your waistline. I do hope I can do it justice for the traditionalist.  Enjoy!


Loco Moco 



1lb Ground beef (80/20 mix)
1/4 cup grated onions 
salt& pepper to taste
1 can beef broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
4 eggs cooked (sunny side up or over easy)
hot cooked white rice




  1. In a bowl  mix the ground beef, grated onions and salt and pepper. Form 4 patties.
  2. In a fry pan heat until very hot. 
  3. Place hamburger patties in the pan and  sear just until juices start appearing on the top. Flip over and cook for a couple more minutes. Then place burgers on the side.
  4. Pour a little broth into the same pan and incorporate any bits on pan bottom, then pour in most of broth reserving a couple of tablespoons.  
  5. Bring to a boil and let reduce for about 5 minutes, then reduce heat to a simmer. 
  6. Add worcestershire, garlic and onion powders.   
  7. In a small bowl, mix flour with remaining broth, then using a whisk, slowly whisk the  mixture back in pan and cook until gravy is smooth and thick. 
  8. Then turn off heat and whisk in the butter until blended.
  9. To serve, place a couple of scoops of rice, lay beef patty on top, then egg, serve with gravy on top.
The Lighter Side of  Loco Moco



1 lb  ground turkey
1/4 cup grated onion
1Tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp  flour
2 cups low sodium beef broth
1 dash Worcestershire sauce 
4 cups brown rice, cooked
4 eggs, cooked (either in non-stick skillet with cooking spray or poached)

  1. In a medium bowl, mix the turkey, onion, salt and black pepper. Then form into 4 patties and fry in the olive oil. When the meat is cooked, set the patties on a plate and set aside. 
  2. In the same pan, pour in the broth, then whisk in the flour, make to dissolve any clumps. Then addWorcestershire sauce, and allow the gravy to come to a boil, and continue to boil for about a minute then remove from heat.  
  3. Then to serve place your rice in a dish, then the turkey patty on top, place an egg and pour the gravy over everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment