Okay, what could be the biggest concern hitting me on as the power goes out, yeah I know what some of you are thinking, but seriously, a freezer full of food and what am I going to do with it if this goes on forever...... I blog recipes people I am thinking party, right lets do this thing right!!!!!
There were some people that got the night off due to the storm, how about we just go crazy. Maybe have someone come up with the perfect cocktail, oh wait that could be easy. What do you think Detective Williams, have something for us?
2 oz light rum
2 oz dark rum
2 oz passion fruit juice
1 oz orange juice
½ oz lime juice
1 Tbsp simple syrup
1 Tbsp grenadine
orange slice and cherry for Garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add all the ingredients, shake well.
- Then strain into a Hurricane glass filled with ice. Garnish with a cherry and an orange slice.
2-8 oz packages of cream cheese
1- 8 oz container of blue cheese dressing
1- 12 oz bottle hot sauce
2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix cream cheese, blue cheese, hot sauce and shredded chicken breast.
- Then spread mixture in 9 x 9-inch pan and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with celery sticks and your favorite chips.
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
4 slices bacon, cooked, drained & crumbled
2 Tbsp red bell pepper, minced
2 green onions, minced
15 asparagus spears, thin
15 slices white bread
4 Tbsp butter, melted
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl mix cream cheese, bacon, red pepper and green onion in a bowl and set aside.
- Then snap asparagus spears at their 'breaking point then saute or steam until crisp-tender, this is about 3 minutes, then set aside.
- Cut the crusts off of bread and roll each piece flat with a rolling pin and set aside.
- Spread about 1 1/2 Tbsp of the cheese mixture on each piece of bread, place a spear onto the bread and roll. Then repeat with the rest of your ingredients.
- Place rolls onto a greased cookie sheet. Brush all rolls with melted butter and roll each one in Parmesan cheese place on pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly browned. Let cool and cut each roll into halves or thirds. Serve.
Now I think we can have Chin bring our next dish to my party, lets face it what is a party without a hot dog, I think he can manage this one for us. Especially since this a pretty grown up party food, hot dogs and bourbon mixture how bad can it be?
3/4 cup bourbon
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/1/2 cup catsup
1 Tbsp grated onion
4 package hot dogs, cut in bite size pieces (or cocktail wieners)
- Mix ingredients in crock pot. Set on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
Now for the centerpiece to the party I am saving it for the new girl. Lets face it, not that Catherine has to prove herself to anyone, but lets just say she can show off right here she can throw down just as good if not better... So she is throwing down a dish inspired by Sandy and since we had to start cleaning out the freezer, we just needed to create a little something something to warm our souls.
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs chicken pieces, skinless
1 lb. boneless pork, cut into 1-2-inch cubes
1 lb. shrimp fresh or frozen (thawed)
salt and pepper to taste
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium onions, chopped
3 bell pepper, diced (any color)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
1 lb. plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 quart chicken broth
1 1/2 cup long grain white rice
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1-1/2 tsp dried)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add chicken, pork and fish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and add the garlic. Brown meat and fish from all sides, stirring occasionally. Remove all to a plate and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. of the accumulated fat , then add the onions and peppers and saute over medium heat until the onions turn golden, about 5 minutes, stirring. Then add cilantro and parsley and saute for 1 minute.
- Then add tomatoes and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Return the meats and fish to the pot, cover and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and oregano, cover and put skillet into the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the meats are tender. Let rest for 10 minutes and serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.
In all seriousness, if you are just looking for ways to help, I have put a few links below. Thanks for just being there, it has always meant so much.