Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Side Dish Tuesday


They say that comfort food could make you fat, I can guarantee it will make you happy. Can you believe they have actually researched this and comfort food can make some people feel less lonely, wait we needed scientists to tell us that, really?  For most of us, these foods are far from gourmet and generally characterize home cooking. They summon feelings of reminiscence, security, and sanctuary.

You can't wrap love in a box, but you can wrap a person in a hug. ~Unknown
It is times like this when sometimes maybe you just need a hug from someone special, and a smile from a friend.  That is comfort, that is what make many of us happy, and pulls us through.  "And I can't ask for things to be still again No I can't ask if I could walk through the world in your eyes Longing for home again Home, is a feeling I buried in you I'm alright,  I'm alright It only hurts when I breathe I'm alright, I'm alright It only hurts when I breathe" Melissa Etheridge Breathe.


Let’s face it after a big hug like that you would never make the Monkey a giant plate of asparagus, but maybe just maybe a you need to make her a big bowl of macaroni and cheese.  I have a present for you, but I need to borrow your arms for wrapping paper. ~Unknown Foods like this seem to have supernatural properties as they have the ability to remedy anything regardless of how bad the situation may have been.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. 
  2. Cook macaroni in boiling salted water according to package directions; drain well and set aside. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk and half-and-half. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat.
  3.  Remove from heat and add paprika, pepper, and 2 cups of the cheese; stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Combine sauce with the macaroni and add salt to taste. Place in a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Garnish top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and dot with additional butter.  Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes. 
Serves 4 to 6.





No comments:

Post a Comment